Crime in Berkeley: Aug. 26 — Sept. 1

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Reckless Driver — Sacramento Street and Allston Way 

On Aug. 26 at 12:48 p.m., a citizen reported someone driving recklessly in the area of Sacramento Street and Allston Way. The vehicle was reported going north on Sacramento Street and turned left onto University Avenue going west. An area check for the vehicle was negative.

Disturbance — Ohlone Park

On Aug. 27 at 6:46 a.m. a citizen reported a male pacing and yelling inside of Ohlone Park. It was reported the subject had been yelling for 45 minutes. An officer was dispatched to check the location. An officer contacted a subject who was yelling in the park. The man was upset over some recent bad news. The man calmed down and decided to leave the park.

Residential Burglary — 2100 Block of Dwight Way

On Aug. 28 between 10:40 a.m. and 11:50 a.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 2100 block of Dwight Way. An unknown suspect entered a residential apartment, possibly through an unlocked window. Once inside the suspect stole the victim’s laptop computer.

Residential Burglary — 1600 block of Short Street

On Aug. 29 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:55 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 1600 block of Short Street. The unknown suspect entered the residence through an unlocked basement window. The suspect stole several items from the residence including jewelry and a computer.

Robbery — Milvia Street and Oregon Street

On Aug. 30 at approximately 3:30 p.m. a robbery occurred near the intersection of Milvia and Oregon Streets.  The male victim was riding a bicycle in the area. The unknown suspect cut him off in a white, 90’s, van. One suspect got out and pushed the victim to the ground. The suspect then took the victim’s bicycle putting it into the van.  The suspect then fled the area in the van. The first suspect is described as, “white male, 30s, 6’ tall, athletic build, brown hair, goatee wearing a white short sleeve T-shirt, unknown colored pants.” Second suspect is described as “white male, no further details.”

Auto Burglary — 2800 block of Parker Street

On Aug. 31 between 12:30 a.m. and 9:50 a.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 2800 block of Park Street. The female victim parked and locked her car at around 12:30 a.m. When she returned to her vehicle she discovered her cell phone, wallet and GPS were missing. The unknown suspect appeared to have entered the vehicle by prying one of the windows.

Injury Collision — 1800 block of Euclid Avenue

On Sept. 1 at approximately 6:40 p.m., a report of an injury collision was received from the 1800 block of Euclid Avenue.  It was reported that the collision involved a vehicle and a bicyclist, with medical assistance requested.  One of the involved parties was transported to a local hospital for non life threatening injuries. The cause of the collision is still under investigation.

From BPD: Please note that these are Calls For Police Services (CFS) only and are subject to review and reclassification.  These CFS numbers only reflect part one crimes reported to BPD.  The numbers reflected in the report are only a snapshot of what occurs in the City of Berkeley.  The numbers are considered for informational purposes only and should not be used for data analysis or comparison to other agencies.  Cases may be reclassified after further review of the incident, by supervisors, investigating detectives or the District Attorney as appropriate. 

View Crime blotter: Aug. 26 – Sept. 1 in a larger map

Weiru Fang is the assistant city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].