Crime in Berkeley: Sept. 2 — Sept. 8

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley from Sept. 2 — Sept. 8, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Auto Burglary — 1800 Block of Fourth Street

On Sept. 2 between 7:45 p.m. to 8:15 p.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 1800 block of Fourth Street. The male victim parked and locked his vehicle. When he returned to his vehicle he discovered one of the windows smashed. The unknown suspect stole several items from his vehicle, including an IPOD and tool bag.

Loud Party — 2400 Block of Blake Street

On Sept. 2 at 11:32 p.m., BPD received a report of a loud party in the 2400 block of Blake Street. BPD officers responded to the location and determined the party to be a nuisance. The resident was issued a Berkeley Municipal Code notice, regarding the Second Response Ordinance.

Residential Burglary — 1400 block of Carleton Street

On Sept. 3 between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 1400 block of Carleton Street. The female victim reported an unknown suspect entered her home while she was away. The victim reported the suspect may have entered through a window. The suspect stole several items including a laptop computer and cell phone.

Loud Stereo — 1200 Block of Burnett Street

On Sept. 3 at 6:50 p.m., a resident reported hearing loud car stereo in the 1200 block of Burnett Street. A BPD officer was dispatched to the location, but unable to locate any loud stereo. The vehicle had either left the area, or the owner turned off the stereo.

Loud Reports — 1600 Block of Russell Street

On Sept. 4 at 2:37 a.m., BPD received reports of possible gunshots heard in the 1600 block of Russell Street.  Officers responded and checked the area. They spoke with pedestrians in the area who reported hearing them from the area of Russell and Sacramento, but did not see anything. Officers checked the area, but did not locate and victims or damaged property.

Robbery — Hollis Street and Folger Avenue

On Sept. 4 at approximately 9:58 p.m., a robbery occurred near the intersection of Hollis Street and Folger Avenue. The two male victims were walking in the area when they were approached by the unknown suspect. The suspect showed a gun to the victims and demanded their cell phones. The victims complied with the suspect’s demand. The suspect then fled the area.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Black male, 18-25 years old, 6’1” tall, clean shaven, thin to medium build wearing a black jacket with a good and brown pants.”

Auto Burglary — Fifth Street/Gilman Street

On Sept. 5 between 11:00 a.m. and 11:25 a.m., an auto burglary occurred near the intersection of Fifth and Gilman Streets.  The male victim parked and locked his vehicle on Fifth Street near Gilman Street.  Two unknown suspects broke into the vehicle by smashing a window.  The suspect took the victim’s bag, which contained a laptop and other items.  The suspects got into a pearl colored Cadillac and drove from the scene.

The suspects are described as:

Suspect 1 – “Black male, 20 years old, 5’10” tall, 160-180 lbs, goatee or beard wearing a gray or blue sweatshirt and jeans.”

Suspect 2 – “Black Male Adult, no further details.”

Suspicious Person — 1400 Block of Leroy Avenue

On Sept. 5 at 11:33 p.m., a caller reported a suspicious person in the 1400 block of Leroy Avenue. It was reported the subject appeared to be trying to flag down vehicles and the caller wasn’t sure what the subject wanted. An officer was dispatched to the location, but unable to locate the subject.

Alcohol Offense — Fulton Street/Ashby Avenue

On Sept. 6 at approximately 6:42 p.m., a citizen reported a person down near the intersection of Ashby Avenue and Fulton Street.  The caller was unsure of the condition of the person and called the police because they were concerned.  An officer was dispatched to the location and located an adult male.  The officer investigated further and found that the subject was intoxicated and had an outstanding warrant.  The subject was arrested for being intoxicated in public and for the outstanding warrant.

Auto Burglary — 2000 Block of Haste Street

On Sept. 6 between 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 2000 block of Haste Street.  The female vehicle parked and locked her vehicle at approximately 6:00 p.m. When she returned to her vehicle she discovered a window broken and her backpack missing.

Traffic Hazard — 700 Block of San Luis Road

On Sept. 7 at 9:46 a.m., a citizen reported several vehicles block the roadway in the 700 block of San Luis Road. It was reported the vehicles were parked in such a way to make the roadway impassable. An officer was dispatched to the location and found the roadway clear.

Residential Burglary — 1700 Block of Delaware Street

On Sept. 7 between 2:00 p.m. and 3:25 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 1700 block of Delaware Street. The resident reported the unknown suspect entered the residence and stole a laptop computer. It appears the suspect may have entered through an unlocked window.

Trespassing — 2300 Block of Bancroft Way

On Sept. 8 at 10:13 a.m., a citizen reported a subject trespassing and creating a disturbance in the 2300 block of Durant Avenue.   The reporting party requested the subject be contacted and asked to leave the property.  An officer responded to the location and the located the subject.  The subject was advised he was not wanted on the property and left.

Vandalism — 60 Block of Oakvale Avenue

Sept. 8 at 10:38 a.m. a resident in the 60 block of Oakvale Avenue reported an unknown suspect vandalized their vehicle.  An unknown suspect punctured the tires to the victim’s vehicle.  During the investigating the officer discovered two more victim vehicles.

From BPD: Please note that these are Calls For Police Services (CFS) only and are subject to review and reclassification.  These CFS numbers only reflect part one crimes reported to BPD.  The numbers reflected in the report are only a snapshot of what occurs in the City of Berkeley.  The numbers are considered for informational purposes only and should not be used for data analysis or comparison to other agencies.  Cases may be reclassified after further review of the incident, by supervisors, investigating detectives or the District Attorney as appropriate.

View Crime in Berkeley: Sept. 2 — Sept. 8 in a larger map

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].