BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Student victim of afternoon robbery on Sproul Plaza

SEPTEMBER 14, 2012

A 20-year-old female student was the victim of a robbery on campus Monday after she was forced to withdraw money from a campus ATM.

The victim was walking on Lower Sproul Plaza around 2:55 p.m. Monday when she was approached by a male who asked her to buy a magazine subscription, according to a UCPD crime alert released Friday. The victim initially agreed to buy the subscription from the male, who identified himself as “Kody,” but later declined when she was told how much the subscription would cost.

According to the alert, the suspect and two accomplices subsequently threatened the victim and walked her to a nearby ATM in the Golden Bear Cafe. The victim withdrew cash, which was allegedly taken by the suspects.

The victim was not injured during the encounter and reported the incident to UCPD on Wednesday.

The suspect and his companions were last seen walking toward Sather Gate, according to the alert.

According to the UCPD crime alert, the suspect is described as:

“A white male in his early 20’s, with a thin build and short hair.  There is no description of the suspect’s two companions at this time.”

Contact Chloe Hunt at  or on Twitter

SEPTEMBER 16, 2012