Police searching for suspected flasher at University Village

UCPD is investigating a case of indecent exposure that occurred Monday afternoon at the UC Berkeley family housing facility at University Village in Albany.

A male suspect claimed to be a maintenance worker needing to do plumbing repairs and then asked the victim — a female resident who was at home with her two children — to let him into her apartment around 3:45 p.m., according to a UCPD crime advisory.

The victim let him inside, and the suspect appeared to inspect the apartment. He then asked to use the resident’s restroom, and she agreed. Upon leaving the restroom the suspect allegedly unzipped his pants and exposed himself to the victim. She screamed, and the suspect fled the apartment.

The crime advisory issued Tuesday describes the suspect as a white male, approximately 50 years old, 6 feet tall, with a thin build and thinning grey hair. He was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and khaki pants. The suspect has not yet been apprehended.

“He visited three families that we know of and exposed himself to one,” said Assistant Director of University Village Tavie Tipton in an email.

UCPD spokesperson Capt. Margo Bennett confirmed that two additional cases with the similar activity and same suspect description have been reported to UCPD.

In the second reported incident, the suspect entered the victim’s residence with permission, again claiming to be a maintenance worker. However, after looking around, the suspect left the residence and did not expose himself, Bennett said.

The third incident is currently under investigation by UCPD.

“There is not really a whole lot of information we can put out right now,” Bennett said. “But we are aggressively working the case and hope to develop some solid investigative leads.”

Tipton, in an email to residents Monday night, reminded University Village residents that all maintenance staff wear shirts with their names on them and that if residents feel uncomfortable, they can ask to see the worker’s UC Berkeley ID or call the Village office to verify the employee’s status.

According to the staff’s recollection, this is the first time an indecent exposure crime has occurred at University Village, Tipton said in the email.

Contact Megan Messerly at [email protected].