ASUC Senate Meeting Agenda Sept. 19

UC Berkeley’s Olympic athletes will be formally recognized at Wednesday’s ASUC Senate meeting for their success at the 2012 Olympic Games. The ASUC will also introduce a number of bills at the meeting, including one to commemorate the life of UC Berkeley alum and U.S. ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens, who was killed last week.

In its current form, the bill asks ASUC President Connor Landgraf and External Affairs Vice President Shahryar Abbasi to write a condolence letter to the family of Stevens, who was killed in an attack in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11.

A bill opposing Proposition 32, which would ban corporate and union contributions to candidates in statewide and local elections, will also be introduced at the meeting. The proposed bill recommends that the ASUC reject the proposition on the grounds that union members deserve a voice in the elections process.

At its meeting last week, the senate unanimously endorsed Proposition 30, Gov. Jerry Brown’s tax initiative that aims to avoid further cuts to higher education funding.

After they are introduced, the bills will be sent for review to various senate committees before being considered for a vote before the entire senate.

Read the full agenda below.

//

Week#4, Agenda Packet 09 18 12 (PDF) 

Week#4, Agenda Packet 09 18 12 (Text)

Contact Libby Rainey at [email protected]