Pink: The Truth About Love

RCA/Courtesy

Pop’s self-proclaimed punk princess/perpetual party-girl has released her latest album, The Truth About Love, at a point in her life when she should be best qualified to remark on the subject with the eyes of a seasoned veteran. Whereas her previous album, Funhouse, was a post breakup, revenge-fueled swing at her then-separated husband, Carey Hart, The Truth About Love hits the ears four years and a baby later like a power-pop advice column for the broken-hearted.

Indicative of Pink’s genre-schizophrenia, there is much variation in the song styles, ranging from  the pulsating dance groove of the iTunes favorite “Blow Me (One Last Kiss)” to the R&B hooks on “Are We All We Are.” Notable tracks include the titular “The Truth About Love,” where in typical raw fashion Pink explains “The truth about love / It’s all a lie / I thought you were the one and I hate goodbyes.” Candied, sock-hop harmonies back a catchy chorus that laments the less glamorous side of the amorous condition, perfectly engineered for a lengthy career on the radio waves. Another stand out is piano ballad “Just Give Me a Reason,” which brilliantly displays the vulnerability that tough girl Pink always seems so desperate to hide.

Unfortunately, the lyrical content doesn’t dig very deep and often defaults back to the simplistic, radio-friendly chants of late nights and casual flings, all charged with Pink’s particular brand of female testosterone. Catch vocal cameos by Nate Ruess of indie-pop group fun., Eminem and Lily Allen (Pink allegedly coaxed the British java-ska artist out of retirement for the R&B infused “True Love”).

Despite Pink’s evolving maturity in life and love, her music still reflects the base desires of a rebellious 20-something who refuses to grow up. Perhaps the real truth Pink should be examining is what it means to move past the wild-child image she’s apparently afraid to leave behind.

Contact Ryan Koehn at [email protected]