Weekly business rundown: Week of Oct. 1st

The city of Berkeley sees a number of business openings and closures during the course of a year. Here is a brief update on recent happenings in local business.

The Coffee Spot closes

The Coffee Spot, located at 2475 Bancroft Way, has closed because of the planned renovations to Lower Sproul Plaza due to the B.E.A.R.S. Initiative, passed in 2010. The initiative provides funds to renovate the plaza but has forced businesses to close down during the renovation process. Haitham Alloun, who has managed the store since 1987, asked the ASUC to allow him to stay in business until the end of the year, but his request was denied. While there are no current plans to bring the businesses back following reconstruction, the option is not off the table.

American Apparel expands on Telegraph

Located at 2301 Telegraph Ave., American Apparel for Women is expanding its store to include men’s styles. The expansion will create new space for American Apparel for Men, located at 2315 Telegraph Ave., to combine with the women’s store. The expansion will not affect business hours and is estimated to finish within the next two weeks.

The Berkeley Floor Cafe on Bancroft expands hours

The Berkeley Floor Cafe — which opened at 2244 Bancroft Way at the end of July — expanded its hours in August to 8 a.m. through 10 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. through 10 p.m. on weekends. The cafe serves salads, sandwiches, milkshakes, cookies, coffee and alcohol. Owner Razan Faraj said that store hours may be extended further in the future.

Contact Ally Rondoni at [email protected].