Homecoming 2012: Editor’s Note

Despite a frustrating start to the football season, all is not lost for Cal.

This Homecoming has a lot to offer besides a Saturday evening matchup with UCLA. Players and fans alike have a glowing stadium to call home; Cal boasts a superstar wide receiver and first-round NFL projection; and not to mention, Berkeley’s surrounding businesses will undoubtedly flourish with the return of Memorial Stadium.

Last year, during the renovation of Memorial Stadium, it was back to the blueprints for the university and the football program.

But the wait is finally over, and this homecoming issue celebrates what students and Old Blues are all proud to call a new home.

After a face lift at Memorial, the city’s renewal continues to keep us all in good spirits and hopes for a miracle turnaround to the football season.

So peruse these pages for information and inspriation. We’d like this issue to offer a look at our home in depth and to invite the Golden Bears to come back to blueprints.

— Shanna Holako, Annie Gerlach, Seung Y. Lee

Memorial Stadium’s new epic sound

The Berkeley-based company Meyer Sound was hand-picked by Cal Athletics to design and implement a state-of-the-art speaker system for the newly renovated stadium.

SF vs. Berkeley: Battle of the Bay

This year’s football season represents much more than all others before it: a return home.

Stand and Deliver: Brendan Bigelow’s climb back from his knee injuries

TThe football career of sophomore running back Brendan Bigelow was almost over before it even started.