BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 21, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

UC Riverside chancellor to head CSU system

OCTOBER 04, 2012

UC Riverside Chancellor Timothy White will replace Charles Reed as chancellor of the California State system, officials announced Thursday.

White will assume the position as the head of the 23-campus system at the end of December.

“I feel this is a tremendous opportunity for me to try to do more for higher education in this state, at a time that is both precarious and potentially transformative,” he wrote in an open letter to the UC Riverside community Thursday. “It is an opportunity to affect the futures of some 430,000 CSU students, and those yet to come.”

Prior to his appointment as the chancellor of UC Riverside in 2008, White served as the president of the University of Idaho from 2004 to 2008. He also spent time at UC Berkeley as a professor and chair of the former Department of Human Biodynamics from 1991 to 1996.

White earned a bachelor’s degree from California State University, Fresno, a master’s degree from California State University, East Bay and a Ph.D. in exercise physiology from UC Berkeley.

“While he will be missed, it is no small consolation knowing that, with Chancellor White at the helm of the CSU, the University of California will continue to have a well-placed partner and ally in the fight to preserve public higher education in California,” said UC President Mark Yudof in a statement released Thursday.

Yudof said he plans to initiate a search for White’s replacement soon and will appoint an interim chancellor for UC Riverside in the near future.

Curan Mehra is the lead higher education reporter. Contact him at [email protected]

OCTOBER 04, 2012