A necessary campus resource

CAMPUS ISSUES: Keeping the Student Learning Center open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, will provide a much-needed space for students.

A typical UC Berkeley student will eventually need to pull an all-nighter at some point. And for most of the school year, libraries and other widely accessible campus study spaces generally close well before dawn.

But now, students finally have a place where they can study as long as possible. Due to forthcoming construction for the Lower Sproul Plaza renovation project, the Student Learning Center will be open as a study hall 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the next three academic years. The learning center, located in the Cesar Chavez Student Center, will provide a valuable space for students while spaces elsewhere in the plaza are closed.

Students indicated their strong support for better study space when they passed the B.E.A.R.S. Initiative — which initiated the Lower Sproul renovation — in the 2010 ASUC election. A “24-hour study space and lounge” was among many amenities included in the initiative, but there’s no reason students should have to wait for a new space to be created. Keeping the center open all the time is also coming at a relatively cheap price of $130,000 over the next three academic years.

Previously, a large 24-hour study space could only be found on campus during finals season. But students know that the need for studying at all hours persists throughout the school year. The idea is present on other campuses — for example, UC Davis already has a 24-hour study room. It is natural for UC Berkeley to follow suit.

Additionally, both the current and former ASUC academic affairs vice presidents, Natalie Gavello and Julia Joung, campaigned on promises of increasing campus study spaces. The expanded hours of the center — which was previously only open until 10 p.m. most days of the week — appear to be a promising result, at least in part, of discussions within the AAVP office. It is encouraging to see the student government deliver on its promises, fulfilling its mission of benefiting all students.