UC Berkeley-affiliated educators aim to change K-12 STEM curriculum

A group of California-based education advocates will convene later this month to discuss possible changes to the state’s science, technology, engineering and math education curriculum, following discussions with educators and faculty affiliated with UC Berkeley.

The California STEM Learning Network, a group launched to advocate for better STEM education at the K-12 level, will meet at an annual summit in San Diego on Oct. 15 and 16. The group collaborated with educators from the Lawrence Hall of Science and campus faculty to develop plans to make math and science education more of a priority for elementary and high school students.

“California is in the process of adapting new educational standards in math and science,” said Chris Roe, a UC Berkeley alumnus and CEO of the learning network. “These standards are vital to changing the focus of students from just memorizing formulas … to actually grasping concepts and collecting data and being able to understand it.”

At the forefront of the attempted educational overhaul is the Lawrence Hall of Science, which has provided after-school science and math programs, online classroom resources and summer camps for students in hopes of fostering innovative STEM learning experiences.

One such program, the East Bay Academy for Young Scientists, was created as an after-school, summer and internship program designed to expose students in low-income communities to STEM curriculum.

“We provide a series of STEM-enrichment activities that engage students to develop critical thinking skills through scientific research and exploration through a variety of activities during the school day as well as after school,” said Kevin Cuff, director of the program.

Contact Ailya Naqvi at [email protected].