Hot-shot Bears ride winning streak

Andrew Kuo/Staff

The Bears outshot Arizona State by 10 goals and outscored the opponent by two.

The No 14. Cal women’s soccer team outshot the Sun Devils, 19-9, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz. Friday’s win was the fifth straight conference victory and sixth straight overall win.

The 2-0 win also extended the Bears’ (12-3-0, 5-1-0 Pac-12) undefeated road streak.

“Apparently we can bring it when we are travelling, which is awesome,” said Cal goalkeeper Emily Kruger. “We definitely spend a lot of time together relaxing before games, and it’s a very focused environment.”

Though Cal pulled out the win, the Sun Devils (6-8-1, 2-4 Pac-12) were the ones who started on a hot streak. Kruger made six saves in the match, most of which came in the first 20 minutes. The Bears broke the game open in the 23rd minute when Celeste Boureille put in the first goal.

The team strung together passes, and midfielder Betsy Hassett played the ball wide to Ifeome Onumonu. Onumonu then beat her defender to round the corner and played the ball into the box.

“The ball came in from the air and (Boureille) received it with her chest with her back to the goal,” said Kruger. “After one bounce, she turned and half-volleyed it into the upper corner. It was unbelievable.”

That goal seemed to spur the Bears, who struggled to find an offensive spark in the first 20 minutes. The squad controlled remainder of the match, and Kruger was relatively unchallenged.

The Sun Devils, on the other hand, were feeling the heat. In the 73rd minute, they replaced goalkeeper Chandler Morris with Liz Schulze. Cal’s Celeste Martore punished Arizona State for that substitution by taking advantage of the fresh hands in the net.

“She decided to fire a shot off from 30 yards out, and they had just made a goalkeeper change” said Kruger. “(Schulze) looked shocked. It was a solid shot and it just fell out of her hands.”

That goal brought the game to its final 2-0 score. The shutout was the Bears’ sixth on the season so far.

“We need to finish out all 90 minutes, and ASU had no chance of scoring at the end, which was pretty great to see,”said Kruger. “

The Bears’ offense also noted a milestone with the win. Cal boasts a deep team with an abundance of players who produce goals.

With Martore’s first career goal, Cal counts 14 different athletes who have recorded goals so far this season.

The Bears will look to that depth and versatility to carry them in the remainder of the season, just as it has already contributed to their current hot streak.

“Keeping the winning streak going was really crucial,” said Kruger. “By getting on a streak like that, where one game pushes you into the next one, getting another win perpetuates the energy we have now.”

Taylor Brink covers women’s soccer. Contact her at [email protected]