Berkeley school put on lockdown while police search for burglary suspects

Leconte Elementary was put on lockdown Wednesday, as Berkeley police officers responded to neighborhood calls regarding two burglary suspects.

Students were kept inside as a safety precaution while police search the 2900 block of Fulton Street, where the suspects were last seen, said Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Jennifer Coats.

As of 2:25 p.m., the lockdown had been lifted after police finished their block search and did not locate the suspects.

“The suspects were pursued through the playground of Leconte,” said Berkeley Unified School District spokesperson Mark Coplan. “At the time, the playground was empty. Everybody was in class.”

According to Coplan, 15 officers searched the block and another 15 officers created a barrier between the block and Leconte Elementary, located at 2241 Russell St. Two buses were on standby in case of an evacuation, he said.

Coats said the police were alerted around 11:38 a.m after receiving multiple calls from neighbors, after the two suspects were caught breaking into a residential home in the 2100 block of Ward St.

No suspects are currently in custody, and police will begin their investigating processes for the burglary.

The suspects are described as two males in their 20s, according to police.

Update 3:15 p.m.: According to Coats, the suspects have not been apprehended and the searching officers have been released. BPD was able to recover some of the burglary victim’s property.

Below is the BPD description of the suspects:

Suspect #1 – “African American Male Juvenile, 16 years old, 5’7”-5’8”, 140 pounds wearing a gray shirt and baggy blue jeans.”

Suspect #2 – “African American Male Juvenile, 16 years old, 5’7”-5’8”, 140 pounds wearing a black and white short-sleeved stripped shirt and baggy blue jeans”

Weiru Fang is the assistant city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].