Bat-Signal and Triforce projections adorn Campanile

Dean Ignacio/Staff

A series of pop culture images have appeared on the Campanile at UC Berkeley in the run-up to the Big Game this week.

At night, the glowing designs appear projected across the side of the tower — the Bat-Signal, the sign of the Deathly Hallows and the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda.

Derek Schatz, the vice chair of spirit for Rally Committee, says that the stencils for the projections were painstakingly handcrafted.

“I just make them out of pie tins with an X-Acto knife and then just shove them in the spotlight,” Schatz said.

So what do these random symbols have to do with Cal? Nothing, really.

“I wanted people to look up and say that’s fun and that’s cool — I was thinking a lot more people are going to enjoy a Batman or a Deathly Hallows symbol than a Cal sign,” Schatz said. “I have no qualms about having fun stuff up there.”

Rally Committee typically buys professionally made stencils but has now opened up the option for design contributions. Shreyas Chand, a freshman Rally Comm member, created the Triforce stencil.

Taylor Pierola, beater and captain-in-training on the Cal Quidditch team, said the Deathly Hallows image represents how unique Berkeley is.

“I was happy to see that we’re nerdy enough to put that up,” Pierola said.

Cal’s Quidditch team has its own showdown, the Big Sweep, with Stanford University scheduled for Oct. 27.

“Not a lot of people know that we have a Quidditch team on campus,” said Pierola. “The symbol on the Campanile is like recognizing that we’re part of Cal and we’re something to be proud of during Big Game week.”

Rally Committee is planning more custom lighting displays for Charter Week in March.

“It’s kind of like Cal’s birthday,” Schatz said.

Rally Committee is open to more design ideas. Students can email contributions to [email protected].

Contact Gautham Thomas at [email protected]