Weekly business rundown: Week of Oct. 22

The city of Berkeley sees a number of business openings and closures during the course of a year. Here is a brief update on recent happenings in local business.

Boutique Carolina opens
Located in the Berkeley Plaza building at 1920 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Boutique Carolinaoffers a selection of “smart women’s clothing” for all ages. Carolina Lopez and Ivonne Carolina Gomez — a mother-daughter team — opened the clothing store on Aug. 11. Synthesizing their two perspectives on fashion, Lopez and Gomez hope to style a broad range of “working women.”

“I thought Berkeley needed more mature clothing options but still stylish,” Gomez said.

Boutique Carolina sells both party dresses and business attire. The store is open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Lindgren’s Coffee and Cafe to open
A new cafe will open at 2120 Dwight Way in mid-December. Lindgren’s Coffee and Cafe will serve espresso drinks, brewed coffee with freshly roasted coffee beans, homemade pastries, a selection of daily soups, salads and sandwiches. There will also be a beer and wine menu. Brunch will be served on weekends. Owner Eric Lindgren, who said that he “has always been drawn to the kitchen,” hopes to serve local residents as well as provide a study space for college students.

The Rare Barrel to open
A new sour beer company, The Rare Barrel, started construction in West Berkeley this week. Found on Parker and Ninth streets, the company will begin brewing at the start of next year and hopes to start selling by the end of 2013. Co-owner Alex Wallash — along with Jay and Brad Goodwin — said the sour beer “isn’t like other craft beers” but instead has a tart taste. Blended and brewed in oak barrels, the flavors are reminiscent of wine or champagne. The owners are excited to now be located in Berkeley,  a “cool” community not only for the mild climate — perfect for brewing sour beer — but also for the city’s welcoming attitude toward new ideas, Wallash said.

Holy Land closes
The traditional Middle Eastern eatery Holy Land Restaurant closed its Berkeley restaurant Oct. 9. Located in the Elmwood district along College Avenue, owner Niso Mizrachi said “there were too many stores, too much competition and not enough customers. We had many loyal customers, just not enough.” Niso and his wife, Haya — described by loyal customer and UC Berkeley alum Mina Azarnouch as “the cutest Israeli couple ever” — ran the restaurant together to serve a cuisine of “mixed Jewish, mixed Middle Eastern and homemade everything.” The Oakland location on Rand Avenue, run by Mizrachi’s daughter, is still open.

Padi Restaurant to open
A new Indonesian eatery has moved into Holy Land’s old location at 2965 College Ave. and will open Oct. 24. Padi Restaurant, owned by Jimmy Sujanto, hopes to mainly cater to small, medium and large family and office functions. The menu will include various traditional Indonesian platters, including Sujanto’s homemade beef meatballs, Chinese eggplant and “super crazy spicy combination fried rice.” On opening day, Sujanto is offering 30 percent off everything on the menu and will continue to offer a smaller discount for the next couple of weeks, according to the East Bay Express. The restaurant will be open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Contact Alex Berryhill at [email protected]