Stanford shuts down anemic Cal offense

Cal field hockey’s offense collapsed on Tuesday in a 2-0 shutout to Stanford, solidifying a 2-7 away record for Cal.

Despite spending a total of 17 minutes in the first period with a one-player advantage, the Bears (5-11, 1-4) were unable to capitalize on their edge over Stanford (12-6, 6-0) .

The Cardinal was issued two yellow cards and one green card. Stanford’s two leading scorers — Becky Dru and Courtney Haldeman — each had yellow cards and were taken out of the game.

Cal was able to keep up with Stanford for a scoreless first half. The Bears held a slight shot disadvantage in the first half, with two to the Cardinal’s five.

The second half, however, saw a much more aggressive Stanford team. The Cardinal quickly took the 1-0 lead when midfielder Alex McCawley stepped just inside the circle and sent a shot past Cal goalie Courtney Hendrickson four minutes into the second half.

The Cardinal doubled its lead when forward Emily Henriksson converted a penalty corner off assists by forward Hope Burke and defender Kelsey Harbin in the 62nd minute.

Stanford’s offense dominated Cal’s throughout the game. The Bears could not get anything going with goals because of a lack of shots. The Bears were outshot, 13-4 and had one penalty corner to Stanford’s three. The penalty corner is awarded when the offense is in the shooting circle or the opponent’s defending quarter.

The inability to attain these corners for Cal came from its inability to get in the circle to create an opportunity for Stanford to make the foul.

Despite Cal coach Shellie Onstead’s focus on her offense in recent weeks, the Bears were unable to deliver the necessary opportunities to produce any goals on Stanford.

The win marked the Cardinal’s second straight year of going undefeated in conference play.

With only one game left in the regular season, the Bears are running out of time to learn from such losses and seek improvement. With this loss, Cal will likely finish the regular season as third in the NorPac West conference behind Davis and Stanford.

This third-place ranking will place Cal in an undesirable — but not impossible — position going into the eight-team NorPac Conference tournament.

Jessica Lim covers field hockey. Contact her at [email protected].