UC Berkeley ranks second in number of Fulbright Scholars among public research institutions

UC Berkeley produced the second-highest number of Fulbright grant recipients among public research institutions in the United States during the 2012-2013 year, according to recently released rankings.

Six of the prestigious scholarships were awarded to people affiliated with the campus, according to the Institute for International Education.

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. The program offers grants for U.S. citizens to go abroad and noncitizens to come to the U.S. to study, teach and conduct research.

Patrick Riley, who received a Fulbright grant in 2005 to study in Munich, used the scholarship to conduct computer science research, which he published in internationally recognized technology journals.

“It’s important to remember that you represent not only your university but also your country and are essentially appreciated by the rest of the world as a young ambassador of the United States,” Riley said. “You only get an opportunity like that once in a lifetime, if you’re lucky.”

According to Richard Edelstein, a research associate at the UC Berkeley Center for Studies in Higher Education, the rankings are perceived internationally as an indicator of a university’s prestige.

According to campus information about research funding, the campus received about $714 million in new research funding during the 2011-2012 fiscal year — up 38 percent over the past decade.

Fifty-six percent of those funds came from the federal government. The remainder came from California state agencies, industry and the nonprofit sector.

Contact Ailya Naqvi at [email protected].

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that UC Berkeley was ranked second among research institutions. In fact, it is ranked second among public research institutions. It also incorrectly stated that RIley received a grant to study at Berkeley. In fact, he studied in Munich on the grant.