Crime in Berkeley: Oct. 21 to Oct. 27

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley from Oct. 21 to Oct. 27, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Auto Burglary, Claremont Blvd/Russell Street

On Oct. 21 at approximately 1:44 p.m., the victim reported his vehicle broken into while it was parked in the area of Claremont Boulevard and Russell Street. The victim went to his vehicle and discovered one of the windows broken. The unknown suspect prowled through the vehicle, but nothing was taken.

Stolen Vehicle Recovered, Seventh Street/Jones Street

On Oct. 22 at approximately 7:56 a.m., a stolen vehicle was located near the intersection of Seventh Street and Jones Street. A BPD officer was on patrol when he located the vehicle. The officer conducted a record check and learned the vehicle as stolen out of Richmond. The officer had the vehicle towed for safekeeping and the owner was contacted. The recovered vehicle is a green, 2000, Honda Civic, four door.

Robbery, Telegraph Avenue/Ward Street

On Oct. 23 at approximately 2:22 p.m., a robbery occurred near the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Ward Street. The male victim was walking in the area when an unknown suspect rode next to him on a bicycle. The suspect grabbed the victim’s phone and a struggle ensued. The victim sustained non-life threatening injuries during the incident. BPD officers responded to the area looking for the suspect. A witness to the incident pointed out the suspect to a BPD officer. The suspect was apprehended and arrested for robbery.

Vandalism, 1800 Block of Woolsey Street

On Oct. 24 at approximately 6:00 p.m., the Pastor for a church located in the 1800 block of Woolsey Street reported vandalism to the church. The Pastor indicated that an unknown suspected graffiti the side of the church using spray paint.  

Residential Burglary, 1200 Block of Bancroft Way

On Oct. 25 between 3:00 p.m. and 7:10 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 1200 block of Bancroft Way. The victim reported that while they were away an unknown suspect kicked in their door. The suspect stole several items from their residence including two laptop computers.

Auto Burglary, 900 block of The Alameda

On Oct. 26 at approximately 11:50 a.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 900 block of The Alameda. The victim parked and locked her vehicle. She left her vehicle for approximately five minutes. During that time an unknown suspect broke a window to the vehicle and stole the victim’s purse.

Robbery, Hearst Avenue/La Loma Avenue

On Oct. 27 at approximately 5:40 a.m., a robbery occurred near the intersection of Hearst Avenue and La Loma Avenue. The victim was walking in the area when the unknown suspect approached her. The suspect grabbed a camera that was around the victim’s neck.  A struggle ensued and the suspect was able to take the camera. The suspect then fled the area.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Black Male, 20s, 5’10”-6’, lean athletic build, no facial hair wearing a hat, white t-shirt and tan or khaki pants.”

From BPD: Please note that these are Calls For Police Services (CFS) only and are subject to review and reclassification.  These CFS numbers only reflect part one crimes reported to BPD.  The numbers reflected in the report are only a snapshot of what occurs in the City of Berkeley.  The numbers are considered for informational purposes only and should not be used for data analysis or comparison to other agencies.  Cases may be reclassified after further review of the incident, by supervisors, investigating detectives or the District Attorney as appropriate.

View Crime in Berkeley: Oct. 21 to Oct. 27 in a larger map

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].