This Week in Arts

VISUAL ART

As a center for innovation, renewable energy solutions, art and communal education, Oakland seems like the perfect home base for nonprofit organization Kinetic Steam Works. Since 2005, it has worked to preserve steam power heritage, presenting art and performance pieces to the public, highlighting the merits of this technology. This Saturday, KSW will be hosting its annual festival, Roll Out, from noon to 10 p.m. at their shop in Oakland. There will be restored steam artifacts on display, live music, food and more.

In addition to celebrating the American heritage of steam power, head to Oakland Museum of California on Saturday afternoon to talk post-election politics and expectations for our next president. The event, “After the Election: The First 90 Days,” is a part of OMCA’s “In-the-Mix” conversation series delving into topics brought up by “The 1968 Exhibit,” which is currently on view.

— Anna Carey

FILM

Every day this week the American Indian Film Institute will be screening an eclectic range of films by Native Americans as part of its annual showcase. One film that promises to be particularly unique, “Dancing Salmon Home,” will screen on Tuesday. The film follows 28 tribal leaders as they journey to New Zealand to “speak” to their salmon relatives. The films will screen at various theatres in SF.

The Italian International Students Association will screen “The Big Dream” by Michele Placido in 159 Mulford Hall this Thursday. The film follows the illicit affair of an undercover policeman who falls in love with his charge, the leader of a student protest group. Set against the backdrop of the 1968 student riots, the film evokes Pier Paolo Pasolini’s famous “Poem to the Young Communist Students,” in which he expressed sympathy for the police as the “sons of the poor against sons of bourgeois families.”

— Thomas Coughlan

LITERATURE

Literary Death Match,” the show that is described as three-way marriage between “Def Poetry Jam,” “American Idol” and “Double Dare,” is coming back for its 49th San Francisco show on Thursday at the Contemporary Jewish Museum. 

With four judges, four author/readers/performers and creator of the series Adrian Zuniga hosting, the show will be hilarious and also remind us that writing and reading can be still be cool.

On Friday, Bill McKibben, activist and author of climate change books “The End of Nature” and “Eaarth,” will be at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School. McKibben is most known for writing the first book about climate change for the public in 1989. With a supporting group of other activists and thinkers, McKibben describes his talk as one that will be like a TED talk, but “more dangerous.”

— A.J. Kiyoizumi

MUSIC

Unlike in the past couple of weeks, there are some noteworthy album releases coming out this Tuesday. Rock legends Aerosmith will be releasing their 15th studio album, Music From Another Dimension! On a less intergalactically themed album, punk group Streetlight Manifesto round out our album releases this week with The Hands That Thieve.

There’s also a wide variety of shows to go see this week. Starting off the week, indie band Sea Wolf will be playing tonight at the Independent in San Francisco. Tuesday will bring the now-blues-influenced Cat Power to the Fox Theater in Oakland, in support of her latest album, Sun. The Fox Theater will also play host to Die Antwoord and many other innovative EDM artists this Friday as part of Sonar on Tour. Lastly, rapper Wiz Khalifa will be playing the San Jose Event Center this Saturday.

— Ian Birnam

THEATER

Berkeley has always been a bastion of creativity, and this week you need not look further than our very own campus for unique, theatrical works. Beginning Nov. 9, you can catch BareStage Productions’ premiere of the original musical “Death, and Other Hobbies.” Written by Jake Tully and UC Berkeley student Weston Scott, the show follows Manhattan socialite Corbin Vickers as he throws the party to end all parties — one to celebrate his forthcoming suicide.

On that same Friday, if you walk just around the corner to the Durham Studio Theater, you will catch the premiere of theater, dance and performance studies’ department chair Peter Glazer’s original musical “Woody Guthrie’s American Song.” Glazer’s musical offers topical themes of economic hardship, class conflict and equality all set to the soothing sounds of this American folk legend.

— Jessica Pena