BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley police investigate alleged Telegraph Avenue stabbing

NOVEMBER 29, 2012

Berkeley Police Department is investigating a reported stabbing that occurred Thursday afternoon near the intersection of Durant and Telegraph avenues.

The department received reports of a possible stabbing at approximately 1:56 p.m on the 2300 block of Telegraph Avenue, according to spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats. The victim was in an argument with two men, one of whom may have had a knife, Coats said in an email.

Both the suspects and the victim left the scene prior to the arrival of police, Coats said in the email.

Officers later located the victim, who was transported to a local hospital, according to Coats. The victim is reportedly in stable condition at this time. Officers were unable to locate the suspects, but students near the scene of the incident said they saw two people running away from the scene.

Following the incident, the victim — a man not affiliated with the campus — traveled up Channing Way, leaving a trail of blood droplets on the sidewalk next to Martinez Commons, a campus housing facility, according to Marty Takimoto, director of marketing communications for Residential and Student Service Programs.

Police closed the sidewalk next to Martinez Commons for about an hour to gather evidence, Takimoto said. He added that the bloodstains in the Martinez Commons courtyard are currently being cleaned according to appropriate haz mat protocols by RSSP staff.

Contact Chloe Hunt at  or on Twitter

NOVEMBER 29, 2012