Alone, but not lonely

I arrive early to the airport on my way home from Dublin. It’s the absolute best place for people watching, so I tend to sit like a five-year-old by the window, watching planes take off and land, while eavesdropping on conversations in various languages. (Is it still considered eavesdropping if I do not understand the language?)

My hair is askew with a mind of its own, I’m sure. My face is weathered from days of squinting — forgot my glasses — and facing the harsh winds. Yet there’s still a smile on my face.

It’s my first time traveling without a friend or family member by my side. Yet, I never once feel a tinge of loneliness.

If I had traveled with someone I knew, I feel like I would not have meet so many fascinating people that wander as I do.

The first day in Dublin, I meet a lovely person from Brazil. He teaches me a hodgepodge of words in Portuguese and how to imitate the Brazilian pronunciation. I blush and laugh as I botch each and every word. He never stops smiling as he helps me improve my accent.

A few days later, as I sit down to charge my phone in the lobby of my hostel, a group of people from Croatia, Italy and England join me within minutes to talk about music, life, school and travel. Though we
have little in common, our passion for wandering drives the conversation.

I find out my sweet friend Emily from my hometown is there at the same time as I am. We exchange our crazy study abroad experiences while laughing over a Guinness.

Staying at a hostel is the most amazing experience for a young person. If you have never done it, I think it would benefit your travels greatly if you give a hostel a chance. If you travel alone, you will not be lonely.

Image Source: Rachel Morgan, Daily Californian Contributor