BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Caitlin Kelley's Picks of the Weekend

JANUARY 23, 2013

Girl with a Pearl Earring at the de Young

After nearly 20 years outside of the U.S., Johannes Vermeer’s famous painting “Girl with a Pearl Earring” will open in San Francisco’s de Young Museum on Saturday. Spawning a fictionalized book and subsequent movie, much has been said about the girl whom nobody really knows. Perhaps people like to read into her expression. Perhaps people just like her style. Whatever the case, Scar Jo played her — and everyone knows that’s the mark of a true masterpiece. For the student price of $22, you too can stare at her 17th century bling, as well as other Dutch paintings from The Mauritshuis.

Father John Misty and The Walkmen at The Fillmore

If you missed Father John Misty’s navel-exposing, tree climbing shenanigans on Lower Sproul in the fall, have no fear. He will reprise his magnetic stage presence in the Bay Area at The Fillmore both today and tomorrow. Oh yeah, and The Walkmen are also playing. In fact, the indie rock band is headlining the show — it’s sure to be a lot of fun.

The ‘Rear Window’ at Pacific Film Archive

Are you a fan of suspense? Of murder? Of creepin’ on your neighbors in the company of a very fashionable lady? Well, UC Berkeley’s very own Pacific Film Archives is screening Alfred Hitchcock’s classic “Rear Window” tomorrow (as part of a continuing series of his films). Starring Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly, the film has been analyzed, overanalyzed and loved by critics since it came out in 1954. It’s almost obligatory for me to recommend this. Except it’s not. This is your chance to live out your voyeuristic movie appreciation on the big screen for $5.50 (the student price).

‘Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters’

The movie “Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters” looks ridiculous. The creepy Brothers Grimm children’s tale is turned into an adult horror comedy about — guess what? — bounty hunters versus witches. Woah. In case that description doesn’t entice, allow me to drop some names: Will Ferrell is the producer and Jeremy Renner plays Hansel. There you go. See you in theaters, starting tomorrow.

Contact Caitlin Kelley at 

JANUARY 23, 2013