Man allegedly tries to steal from Berkeley Bowl three times in same day

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. One man took this adage to heart as he allegedly attempted to steal beer from Berkeley Bowl not once but three times — all in the same day.

According to Berkeleyside, the suspect was identified as Christopher Lichty, an Oakland resident. Lichty allegedly attempted to target the Berkeley Bowl on Oregon Street three times last Monday for beer.

Lichty first arrived at the store at around 7:17 p.m., where he allegedly attempted to steal beer. Officer Jennifer Coats, spokesperson for Berkeley Police Department, told Berkeleyside that loss-prevention officers were trying to stop Lichty when he dropped the beer and fled.

He returned to the store soon after and allegedly took beer and left without paying. Loss-prevention officers attempted to stop Lichty, but he was again able to avoid capture.

Lichty finally arrived for a third time, allegedly taking beer and walking out of the store without paying. This time, the loss-prevention officers were able to hold Lichty until police arrived. The police arrived at the scene around 8 p.m., according to Berkeleyside.

Lichty was arrested on suspicion of robbery, theft, attempted theft, receiving stolen property and resisting arrest, Berkeleyside reported.

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected].