Cal softball smacks UC Davis

It may have taken longer than Diane Ninemire would have hoped, but the Cal softball team finally won consecutive games for the first time this season.

Fresh off a win against Indiana on Sunday, the No. 9 Bears defeated UC Davis 7-0 Wednesday night at La Rue Field in Davis, Calif. Starting for the Bears was All-American Jolene Henderson while Davis sent Jessica Thweatt to the mound.

Henderson didn’t need much run support to come away with the win.

She dominated the Davis lineup, striking out eight through six innings and only giving up three hits.

Offensively, the Bears bats came alive, scoring seven runs on eleven hits. Six different Cal players supplied RBIs while eight different Bears reached base.

Breana Kostreba was a standout, providing three hits, a run scored and an RBI.

Cal got things started early as Danielle Henderson singled home Cheyenne Cordes in the top half of the first inning.

The game remained 1-0 until the third when the Bears delivered the knockout punch. With two runners on, Victoria Jones doubled to right-center field to score Kostreba. Jolene Henderson followed up Jones’ double with an RBI single to score Danielle Henderson. With runners on the corners, the Bears decided to attempt a double steal. While Jolene Henderson stole second, Jones was able to successfully steal home and provide the third run of the inning. Cal would tack on one more run to close the inning.

Lindsey Ziegenhirt provided fireworks in the seventh, homering off of Leah Munden to give the Bears their final tally.

Freshman pitcher Nisa Ontiveros relieved Henderson in the seventh to close out the game, in another successful pitching appearance for Cal.

The win gave the Bears their second straight win to improve their overall record to 3-2 on the year.

Sean Wagner-McGough covers softball. Contact him at [email protected].