BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 24, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

4 redeeming college stereotypes

FEBRUARY 21, 2013

For some reason, many college stereotypes seem to come attached with preconceived and negative connotations. Most of us have probably heard people talk about the “Walk of Shame” they had to pull Saturday morning or how they’re afraid they’ve put on the “Freshman 15.” The Clog thinks it’s high time to revisit some of these terms and get a few things straight.

1. The Walk of Shame

Walk of Shame? More like Stride of Pride! Hey, in case you hadn’t noticed, this isn’t Elizabethan England. There’s no need to sneak out in the wee hours of the morning like a leper about to be caught out in public. You had a good night, you met up with a hottie (at least, that’s what it seemed like at 2 a.m. on the dance floor at Pappy’s) — now flaunt it!

2. The Freshman 15

Also known as “First Year Fatties” or “Freshie Spread.”  This term, of course, refers to the tendency of college newbs to gain the odd pound or two (or, as the story goes, a full 15). Sure, the life of a student isn’t always filled with healthy doses of vitamins A, B, C or D, but who’s counting, really? We all know your first year at college can be stressful enough without having to feel like the scale in your bathroom is your mortal enemy. You are what you eat? That’s funny — in that case, we guess you must have had a SEXY BEAST for breakfast.

3. The Brown-noser

It usually doesn’t take more than 10 minutes of class to spot this person. Look for the guy or girl sitting in the front row armed with a case full of colored highlighters who continuously turns around to shush classmates for breathing too loudly. While it’s fun to point and giggle at the desperate attempts of these individuals to gain the professor’s attention, they’re also the people we really want to be doing the class project with and who’s notes we go to great lengths to acquire. Don’t be afraid to embrace your inner geek  — just make sure not to pop your shoulder out of its socket in the excitement of raising your arm to answer a question.

4. The Super Senior

Otherwise known as the “Hanger-On.” This is a person who has gone through his or her freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, fifth, sixth and seventhyear of college without graduating and without showing any signs of wanting to do so in the near future. While most of us are hoping to be done with college at some point, there is something to be said for trying to avoid dealing with a feisty economy, an unwelcoming job market and the demands of adult life for as long as possible. Reality can wait, as far as the Clog is concerned.

Image source: Wiedz under Creative Commons

Contact Corinne Platten at 

FEBRUARY 20, 2013