Man charged with murder of UC Berkeley alumnus

A man has been charged with the murder of a UC Berkeley alumnus who was found in his Oakland home last June with several stab wounds.

Gregory Hall, 59, of Oakland has been charged with the murder of 67-year-old Michael Thorn Bradley, an artist and UC Berkeley alumnus. On June 14, Oakland Police Department officers were dispatched to Bradley’s home after receiving a call requesting that they check the well-being of a neighbor. They subsequently discovered his body with numerous stab wounds.

Though no suspects were initially identified in the immediate aftermath of the homicide, Oakland Police Department officers picked up Hall on Feb. 15, according to Eamon O’Connor, public information officer for the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office.

Hall will now be prosecuted under the state’s three-strikes law due to his two previous convictions. His previous felony convictions include two separate counts of first-degree residential burglary, according to the criminal complaint filed against him.

Hall is currently being held without bail at Santa Rita Jail, according to the Alameda County Inmate Locator. A court date to enter a plea has not yet been set.

Bradley, who is originally from New York City, attended UC Berkeley in the early 1970s and earned three degrees from the university.

Bradley later went on to become an award-winning artist. He worked extensively, setting up exhibitions of his work throughout the United States as well as publishing a book on poetry, according to his website.

Moreover, Bradley received significant recognition and praise for his work. His numerous awards include the KQED Artist’s Award and the Bookbuilders West Award in San Francisco. He also received the William Andrews Clark Western Books Award and the Regional Design Annual Award in New York City.

Andy Nguyen is the lead crime reporter. Contact him at [email protected].