Thursday app of the week: about.me

Name: about.me

Platform(s): The Internet, iPhone

Price: Free

Mission: Make a one-stop personal (and professional) homepage

In this new online age, paper resumes are slowly being replaced by the “personal website.” The personal website is usually a one-page site that contains a short biography, contact information, links to other sites (often social media) and possibly a photo and resume. It’s a place you can send anyone to learn about you in a setting where you control the information others see. This is not your Facebook, where almost anything goes; this a polished place to sell you. It’s a fantastic link to put in your Twitter bio and to add to your bMail email signature. A personal homepage helps make you stick out and get your name out there. It might even be the thing that helps you land the interview for that internship or job.

The biggest barrier creating a personal website is that creating a website takes a lot of time, skill and money. That’s where a service like about about.me comes in. There are other options, like Flavors.me or even WordPress, but we like about.me because it’s easy and fast to set up a personal page in minutes.

The offerings from about about.me are sparse, but they get the job done. You can upload a background photo or choose from ones they offer. On top of your background photo, you can also upload a picture of yourself if you’re feeling bold. There is also your “info box.” There, you can put your name and title in a large font of your choosing with your biography underneath. Below that, you can include your contact information, apps and links. About.me allows you to link to numerous social media websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and YouTube. If you choose to connect your apps to your page, visitors of your page will be able to see some of the most recent stuff you have posted in a preview box that pops up. About.me also offers some useful analytics, including page views and the average time spent on your page, to help motivate you to get lots of page views.

Ultimately, a personal homepage can only help you. Heck, it might even help you get that cushy campus job. A well-made page can instantly tell someone everything you want him or her to know about you. It’s looks professional and is something you want to have as more of the world moves online.

Random note: Looks like UC Berkeley has an about.me.

Image source: Daniel Radding, The Daily Californian