Live Blog: UC Berkeley students rally for higher education in Sacramento

Shirin Ghaffary/Staff

Over a thousand students representing each of the state’s higher education institutions have convened in Sacramento for a day of protest, calling for increased state support for higher education. The event, jointly organized by the UC Student Association, the California State Student Association and the Student Senate for California Community Colleges, follows a similar event last year that culminated with an occupation of the state capitol building. In addition to the rally, the UC Student Association plans to conduct over 100 lobby visits with state legislators today. Follow @dailycal for updates throughout the day.

Lead academics and administration reporter Shirin Ghaffary is reporting from the field. 

12:30 a.m.

Students crowd around the the state capitol building.

12:26 a.m.

Buses returning to Berkeley will leave at 1 p.m. as the day of demonstration comes to an end.

12:23 a.m.

11:50 a.m.

The rally has officially come to a close. As planned, the UCSA will now hold breakout sessions with state legislators.

11:47 a.m.

Harry Potter references are alive and well at the rally.

11:42 a.m.

“I came here today because even though I’m about to graduate funding for public education is still going to impact my younger brother and cousin,” said UC Berkeley senior Hannah Bennet, a participant in the rally.

11:37 a.m.

“We must educate and not incarcerate,” said ACLU legislative advocate Tiffany Mok. “In the past 20 years we’ve built twelve new prisons and one new UC.”

11:31 a.m.

State Senator Noreen Evans D-Santa Rosa spoke about her recently proposed legislation that would fund increases in state appropriations to higher education with a severance tax on oil producers. Her proposal garnered cheers from the crowd.

11:25 a.m.

A number of ASUC representatives are participating in today’s rally including Student Action Senator Safeena Mecklai.

11:21 a.m.

The speakers at the rally will include California State Senator Noreen Evans D-Santa Rosa, UCSA President Raquel Morales, Student Senate of California Community Colleges Senator Daniel Clark, Vice President of Legislative Affairs for the California State Student Association Pedro Ramirez and Tiffany Mok, a legislative advocate with the ACLU.

11:13 a.m.

10:50 a.m. Protestors have arrived at the capitol building. 10:34 a.m.

10:29 a.m.

Over 1,000 students with signs have begun to march in Sacramento.

Curan Mehra is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected]