Score predictions: Cal-Stanford Gameday

Michael Tao/File

Cal 57, Stanford 53

Overall, these two teams match up fairly well. The Stanford offense rarely turns the ball over, and the Bears don’t force many turnovers. But the Cardinal are not the greatest shooting team, and Cal has been absolutely locking teams down lately.

The Bears carry the crucial advantage of being the hottest team in the conference, riding a seven-game win streak and coming off two consecutive blowouts of Utah and Colorado.

Stanford’s offense has managed to rank among the best in the conference despite shooting 2-pointers at a conference-low percentage, but their poor 2-point shooting ways should spell doom against a Cal defense that has simply shut down every opponent it’s faced over the past month.

The Bears will emerge victorious in a low-scoring, nail-biting affair for Cal fans.

— Michael Rosen

Cal 71, Stanford 59

In the early days of February, Cal and Stanford once stood neck and neck in the middle of the Pac-12 pack after defeating then-No. 10 Oregon in the same weekend.

Fast forward a month later, and the two Bay Area schools now stand on opposite ends of the conference standings.

Since the win over the Ducks, the Bears have gone 7-1. Sitting just outside the top 25 rankings, the Bears are currently the hottest team in the Pac-12.

The Cardinal suffered a more cruel fate, going 4-5 in the same span of time. All five losses came against teams higher than Stanford in the conference standings.

Stanford direly needs a win against a big team necessary to have a chance at a postseason tournament. Cal is now that big team, the white whale. But it will take the Cardinal an extraordinary effort to beat the hot-handed Bears.

— Seung Y. Lee