What to do in Berkeley this St. Patrick’s Day

While you may be counting on the luck of the Irish to find something fun to do this St. Patrick’s Day, we at the Clog decided to compile a list of fun and Irish-y things to do this weekend in case your luck is running a little low. Whether it is good, clean(er) fun you are looking for or a traditional Irish pub experience, here is a list of things to do this St. Patty’s Day weekend.

St. Patty’s Day Pillow Fight: Starting at 6 p.m. on Sunday (March 17), there will be a flash mob pillow fight on Memorial Glade. Bring your own pillow, and prepare to take part in some serious fun! If you’re not already wearing green that day, we’re sure you (or your pillow) will have some nice grass stains to take care of that problem after this event.

Mrs. Dalloway’s: Starting at 4 p.m. this Sunday (March 17), the bookstore on College Avenue will present “The Drunken Botanist: the Plants that Create the World’s Greatest Drinks.” This presentation will be given by Amy Stewart, who has recently published a book of the same name. Now, if we’re being completely honest, botany has never really excited us before.  However, a presentation devoted to exploring the plants that gave origin to different types of alcohol certainly piqued our interest. If not for the botany, we’ll at least give it a shot for the different drink recipes and the samples they promise.

35th Annual California Celtic Conference: For those who crave a more academic and historical approach to this holiday, look no further than the Celtic conference that is being held on campus. Beginning on Friday, (March 15), the event will span three days and feature presentations from leading Celtic scholars from across the nation.

San Francisco St. Patrick’s Day parade: OK, so technically this isn’t in Berkeley, but we couldn’t resist mentioning what is one of the largest St. Patrick’s Day celebrations on the West Coast. The 162nd St. Patrick’s Day parade will take place Saturday (March 16) at 11:30 a.m. The parade begins on the corner of Market and Second streets and is expected to draw more than 100,000 people.

Brennan’s: This bar on University Avenue if offering $4.50 pints of beer with the purchase of corned beef on March 12 to 14. If corned beef and beer aren’t your thing, the bar also offers its apparently “famous” Irish coffee.

Albatross: From 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Sunday (March 17), the Albatross pub on San Pablo Avenue will be featuring traditional Irish music performed by the Celtic quartet Blind Duck. With just a $3 cover, we say this is a pretty good deal if you’re seeking some Irish tunes and drinks.

Starry Plough Pub: If you are looking for a true Irish pub experience, the Starry Plough is probably the way to go. This Sunday, it will be hosting its 40th annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration, which will feature live Irish music and dancers.

Contact Meagan Kane at [email protected]

Image Source: originalpozer, under Creative Commons