Live Blog: UC Regents conclude March meeting

Dean Ignacio/Staff
Regent Norman Pattiz speaks to President Mark Yudof at Thursday's UC Board of Regents meeting at UCSF Mission Bay.

The UC Regents will conclude their two-day March meeting, Thursday. They’re expected to discuss a $60 temporary tuition surcharge associated with the Kashmiri v. Regents and Luquetta v. Regents lawsuit judgments among other issues today. Follow the live blog for updates throughout the day.

10:48 a.m.

And, that’s a wrap. The UC Regents have adjourned their meeting.

10:47 a.m.

The regents move to adopt the criteria for the selection of the next UC President.

10:45 a.m.

President Mark Yudof is delivering his address, noting the various awards UC faculty have recently won.

10:42 a.m.

Without any questions, the regents bring the Committee on Compliance and Audit to an end. The regents will close out the day with a general meeting of the board.

10:29 a.m.

10:26 a.m.

10:24 a.m.

10:14 a.m.

The board moves on to the next item: Ethics and Compliance Annual Board Education.

10:07 a.m.

After the conclusion of presentations from various lab representatives, the regents move on to the Committee on Compliance and Audit.

9:34 a.m.

Committee on Finance ends, moving on to the Committee on Oversight of DOE labs.

9:33 a.m.

9:32 a.m.

9:19 a.m.

Regents approve temporary surcharge on students. Now moving on to discuss benchmarks for financial metrics.

9:12 a.m.

UC President Mark Yudof notes that wherever the cost of the lawsuit is pulled out of the University of California, students will pay either directly or indirectly.

9:08 a.m.

“I think we’ve handled the situation very poorly to be honest,” said UC Student Regent Jonathan Stein registering his opposition to the surcharge.

9:06 a.m.

And, moving through quickly the regents complete the Committee on Compensation to move to the COmmittee on Finance.

9:00 a.m.

Public comment comes to a close. The regents move on to the Committee on Compensation.

9:00 a.m.

UC Berkeley sophomore says UC is a leader in sustainability, asks to put fossil fuel divestment on UC Regents May meeting agenda.

ASUC Senator Nolan Pack speaks about ASUC’s recent decision to divest from fossil fuels.

8:53 a.m.

8:49 a.m.

President of AFSCME 3299 Kathryn Lybarger speaking about report that alleges patient neglect at UC medical centers.

8:46 a.m.

8:43 a.m.

8:40 a.m.

8:40 a.m.

Twenty seven individuals have signed up to participate in today’s public comment session.

8:38. a.m.

UC Regent Chairperson Sherry Lansing calls the meeting the order and begins the public comment session.

Curan Mehra is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected]