BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Erik Weiner’s Picks of the Week

MARCH 18, 2013

Justin Timberlake releasing new album Tuesday

In a contemporary R&B world increasingly obsessed with obscure production tricks and emotional overindulgence (see “PBR&B”), only one panty-dropping powerhouse of Caucasian soul can save the genre from pretension: naturally, Justin Timberlake. Seven years after his massively successful record FutureSex/LoveSounds, JT makes a glorious return with The 20/20 Experience. If the singles “Suit & Tie” and “Mirrors” are any indication of what’s to come, Team Justin/Timbaland are in sync for a tour de funky force.

‘Ferris Bueler’s Day Off’ at Berkeley UA 7

John. Freakin’. Hughes. It would be hard to think of an iconic ’80s teen movie that he didn’t write and direct. In fact, the man practically invented the teen movie genre, and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is a perfect example of how good this genre can be. “Ferris” is often hilarious, sometimes poignant and consistently relatable for anyone forced to endure the American public school system when they’d rather be out stealing cars and starring in the Von Steuben Day Parade.

White Fence + King Tuff coming to campus

SUPERB’s Spring 2013 concert series continues with two SoCal psychedelic garage punk outfits, White Fence and King Tuff. Known for their vibrant and noisy performances akin to Bay Area counterparts like Ty Segall, these acts ought to deliver abundant lo-fi energy through their stripped down, adrenal jams. Laptop speakers do them an incredible disservice; only during live performances is their raucous rawness clear. Check them out for free this Thursday at 5 p.m. on Upper Sproul.

‘The We and I’ at Shattuck Cinemas

Michel Gondry, director of “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and “The Green Hornet,” lets loose his day-in-the-life interpretation of several urban teens struggling to grow up in NYC. Drama inevitably flares as they confront issues of race, sexuality and general alterity in modern life. The one-week showing premiers this Friday at Shattuck Cinemas.

Contact Erik Weiner at [email protected].

MARCH 17, 2013