Blast from the past: boy bands of the ’90s

It’s kind of intriguing to look at Justin Timberlake these days. The man is a multimillion-dollar celebrity with a music career that has been responsible for endless hours of dancing and an acting career that has spawned some half-decent performances on the big screen. But for any youngins of the recent generation, it’s shocking to realize that you probably simply see the man as a typical pop star and not much else. But we can’t forget about what kind of musical group good ol’ J.T. came from. On the contrary, we could never forget his past as none other than the bleached-blond curly-haired member of legendary boy band group ‘N SYNC. Well, to commemorate the release of Justin Timberlake’s new album The 20/20 Experience and its hit single called “Suit and Tie,” we have decided to dig deep into the past and talk about boy bands from the ’90s.

For kids born in the ’90s, boy bands were either something you loved with all your heart or passionately hated with every fiber of your being (because you were super jelly). But regardless of how you felt, one thing was clear: Boy bands were a widespread phenomenon that made boys want to sing like them and made girls shriek over them. No matter where you looked, boy bands appeared everywhere, from your classmates’ school binders to your morning breakfast cereal boxes. To say the least, it was a pretty big deal.

Much like the bitter war over which video game console was the best, it’s also funny to remember that we would often fight over which boy band was the greatest. Of course, the two heavy hitters that were often discussed were the Backstreet Boys and ‘N SYNC. “Whose group was cuter/cooler?” These questions among others were usually the center of these debates. But other times, you’d get kids who fought in the name of other alternative and more obscure boy bands.

We personally had it in for Nick Lachey’s 98 Degrees (let’s face it, the group was essentially his. Who else do you remember being a part of that group besides his brother?) and LFO … Y’know, the group of guys that like girls who wear Abercrombie and Fitch? Though to this day, we still can’t understand how Chinese food made them sick.

But we could go on all day about these groups. We could talk about how Boyz II Men clenched their fists and wore unbuttoned collared shirts to show off their bare chests as a strong wind always conveniently blew in their direction. We could also talk about how it was always peculiar that all the members of a boy band would simultaneously only sing to one specific girl during their music videos. But we’d be here all day.

So while you enjoy J.T.’s new album, try to fit in a couple songs from some old boy bands and take a trip back to the days that can we never truly say “Bye Bye Bye” to just because they just can’t “Quit Playing Games” with our hearts. Sure, they may be hokey at times, but they’re still catchy lil’ numbers at the end of the day. That has to earn it at least some lasting musical value, right?

Contact Matt Espineli at [email protected]

Image source: starpulse, Courtesy