BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Henderson becomes winningest pitcher in Cal softball history on Sunday versus Utah

MARCH 25, 2013

Jolene Henderson is not only Cal softball’s leader and a star player when she steps on the mound; she is also Cal history in the making.

With the Bears’ 4-1 win over Utah on Sunday at Levine-Fricke Field, Henderson pitched her way to the record books, passing Michele Granger’s all-time record of 119 pitching wins to become the winningest pitcher in Cal softball history.

As Henderson waltzed to her 120th victory with one allowed run, one walk and five strikeouts, the Bears’ three game capped off their three-game sweep over Utah this weekend.

Henderson’s 120 wins are complemented with her 1.22 career ERA and 1,016 total career strikeouts. In her four-year career, Henderson played 166 games and started 125 of them, losing only 26 games.

Granger’s 119-win record stood for nearly 20 years until Sunday. Granger was a four-time, first-team All-American and ranks in the top-10 in several career categories in the NCAA.

Henderson’s pitching success through the weekend gave Cal a lot of confidence this weekend as the Bears won Friday and Saturday’s games, 6-0 and 9-4, respectively. Henderson played a near-perfect game on Friday, allowing no runs and only three hits.

Danielle Henderson, Jolene’s younger sister, notched a three-RBI homer in the fifth inning to give Cal the lead needed to win the game.

On Saturday, the Bears had an offensive splurge, dishing out nine runs on 13 hits lead by Cal’s other senior captain, Lindsey Ziegenhirt. She knocked out two home runs in the game.

To put the cherry on top of the weekend, Cal is still undefeated at home and in the Pac-12. The Bears now boast a 26-3 record for the season.

Contact Johnny Zhang at 

MARCH 25, 2013