Crime in Berkeley: March 17 – March 23

This is a sample of crime in Berkeley for the week of March 17 to March 23, courtesy of Berkeley Police Department.

Theft — 2600 block of Ashby Avenue

On March 17 at approximately 8 a.m., a woman reported her bicycle stolen from the rear yard of her residence on the 2600 block of Ashby Avenue. The victim reported last seeing her bicycle on March 13. She discovered the bicycle missing on March 17. Taken is a light blue Giant Cypress bicycle with wicker baskets and a brown seat.

Robbery — 1900 block of Russell Street

On March 18 at approximately 10:05 p.m., a robbery occurred on the 1900 block of Russell Street. The female victim was walking to her residence when an unknown suspect grabbed her from behind. The suspect grabbed the victim’s bag, pulling her to the ground. The suspect stole the victim’s bag, taking her cellphone, wallet and other miscellaneous items.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect — “Black Male, 25 years old, 6’2” skinny build wearing a black baseball hat, black tank top and black pants.”

Commercial burglary — 2100 block of Shattuck Avenue

On March 19 at approximately 8:35 a.m., a store owner reported a commercial burglary on the 2100 block of Shattuck Avenue. The owner locked up the previous night, and when he returned in the morning, he discovered that the front door had been pried open and that the store had been prowled.

Auto burglary — 2400 block of Prospect Street

On March 20 between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., an auto burglary occurred on the 2400 block of Prospect Street. The victim parked his vehicle on the street. When he returned, he discovered a window smashed and his laptop taken.

Robbery — Parker Street and College Avenue

On March 21 at approximately 9:55 p.m., a robbery occurred near the intersection of Parker Street and College Avenue. The female victim was walking in the area when she was approached by a suspect. The suspect was armed with a gun and demanded the victim’s property. The victim, fearing for her safety, gave the suspect her laptop and wallet.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect — “Black Male Adult, 20s, 5’10”, thin build, dark complexion, clean shaven wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark jeans.”

Loud report — Durant Avenue and Fulton Street

On March 22 at approximately 1:34 a.m., BPD received a noise complaint in the area of Durant Avenue and Fulton Street. BPD officers reported to the area to investigate. It was determined the noise was a firework.

Stolen vehicle — 1400 block of Oxford Street

On March 23 at approximately 11 a.m., a woman reported her vehicle stolen from the 1400 block of Oxford Street. The victim parked her vehicle in the driveway the previous evening. When she went out in the morning, she discovered that her vehicle was missing. Taken was a lavender, four-door 1995 Nissan Maxima.

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected]