Saint Laurent gets grungy with rock ‘n’ roll campaign

Saint Laurent /Courtesy

Following a heavily grunge-inspired F/W 2013 collection, Saint Laurent Paris’ creative director Hedi Slimane will feature a variety of rock icons in his latest campaign for the house, the Saint Laurent Musique Project. The portrait series will star Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love, Kim Gordon and Ariel Pink, wearing looks the artists styled themselves.

Slimane aims to capture the iconic style of their different genres and eras (metal, grunge, art rock and psychedelic pop) in his signature black and white photography. The project will act as a branded extension of Slimane’s ongoing Rock Diary, an illustrated book released in 2004 describing the characteristic styles of Slimane’s rock music icons.

The fashion house has had a long-standing connection with the rock world, dating back to when the formidable Yves Saint Laurent dressed Mick and Bianca Jagger for their wedding in Saint-Tropez in 1971. Like Yves Saint Laurent himself, Slimane is seen as a cult figure and somewhat of a radical in the fashion industry. He famously replaced the beefy models on the runways at Dior Homme with pale, skinny, androgynous young models, disrupting and transforming the established image of male beauty.

When he first joined YSL in the late Nineties, Slimane revived the house’s rock’n’roll heritage with the design of his distinctively sharp masculine silhouette, which went on to become a staple during his time at Dior Homme. During his fashion career, Slimane has dressed and photographed many musicians, including David Bowie, The Kills, The Libertines and Franz Ferdinand.

courtney love saint laurent

Slimane returned to Saint Laurent last year, and has since used Beck and former Girls frontman Christopher Owens in his advertising campaigns, as well as featuring Daft Punk and Ty Segall on his original runway soundtracks.

ariel pink saint laurent

Contact Meadhbh McGrath at [email protected].