BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

UCPD on lookout for suspect in alleged battery case over divestment disagreement

UCPD | COURTESY

|

Staff

APRIL 14, 2013

UPDATE: Lt. Eric Tejada of the UCPD has confirmed that this incident was related to a dispute between two students over Israeli divestment. Chancellor Robert Birgeneau mentioned this incident in his response to the ASUC’s vote on Israeli divestment. In his response, Birgeneau mentioned a student handing out pro-divestment flyers being hit in the face. There are no new updates as of this time, Tejada stated.

UCPD is looking for a suspect involved in an alleged battery case, according to a recently released crime alert, courtesy of UCPD.

On April 1 at approximately 2:24 p.m., the victim was tabling on Sproul Plaza when a male subject approached him and asked him a question. The victim and suspect disagreed, and the suspect punched the victim with a closed right fist, knocking him to the ground.

The suspect then fled north and turned east on campus with his right knuckles bleeding. The suspect was last seen on Bancroft Way near the south side of Hearst Gym.

The suspect is believed to be a UC Berkeley student and possibly a junior transfer.

At the time of the incident, the suspect was wearing denim pants and a blue windbreaker jacket with a front zipper and collar. He was also carrying a dark-colored backpack.

Please contact UCPD with any information regarding this case or the suspect.

Tips can anonymously be sent via Caltip:

[email protected]

Tips can also be sent by calling the UCPD main number at 510-642-6760.

For additional information or questions, members of the public may contact Detective Quincy Ruffin of UCPD Criminal Investigations Bureau/Threat Management Unit at 510-642-1606 or [email protected]

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected].

APRIL 18, 2013