Samuel Avishay’s Picks of the Week

North America Cherry Blossom Festival/Courtesy

Cherry Blossom Festival in Japantown

There are only three remaining Japantowns in the United States, and we are lucky to have one in San Francisco. Every year, in each of the three Japantowns, the blooming of the Japanese cherry blossoms, the “sakura,” is celebrated with a festival that attracts hundreds
of thousands. The Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival is spread over two weekends (April 13 to 14 and 20 to 21) and offers a parade of performers, dancers and musicians, as well as a variety of free events that celebrate Japanese heritage and culture.

TNGHT at Midnight in SF

If you love wild and chaotic hip-hop and trap, then head over to TNGHT’s show at San Francisco’s Mezzanine on Saturday, April 20. TNGHT — the trap duo consisting of DJs Hudson Mohawke and Lunice — have gained massive popularity as the premiere trap producers, helping bring the once fringe genre of electronic music to the forefront. Many have dubbed TNGHT’s production as the future of hip-hop, and their shows are known to be full of energy. TNGHT’s show is 21+ and, unfortunately, is sold out. If you can get your hands on a ticket, do not hesitate to go.

The Antlers at Cal Day

Every year on Cal Day, SUPERB brings a musical group to perform on Memorial Glade. Last year, Dr. Dog played an awesome 90-minute set, and this year The Antlers will be doing the same. The Brooklyn-based indie rock group is sure to set the perfect soundtrack to your 4/20 relaxation and festivities.

Cine/Spin at BAM

It might be difficult to imagine how a group of DJs spinning electronic music and a silent comedy might come together. Student DJs will be mixing over Buster Keaton’s “The General”
at the Berkeley Art Museum (BAM) on Friday, April 19. Cine/Spin is a fixture at BAM and is put on every spring semester as part of BAM’s [email protected] series. This event is free for students and $7 for the general public.

Contact Samuel Avishay at [email protected].