How to: guarantee yourself a power outlet in Moffitt during dead week

Raftery/Courtesy

We’re quickly approaching the time of year when the libraries, especially Moffitt, are becoming increasingly filled with tired, stressed-out students. It’s hard enough to find a seat — let alone a power outlet. If your laptop is dying, then you’re probably out of luck. A power outlet is the most precious commodity in the library during dead week. Heck, we wouldn’t even be surprised if someone tried to sell the one they’re using on Craigslist.

An easy way to avoid this problem is to bring your power splitter or strip. Yes, we know that sounds incredibly dorky, but you do already go to Cal, and it’s worth it if it means keeping your laptop alive. It’s an easy way to guarantee yourself a power outlet and possibly be a hero at the same time by providing extra power outlets to all.

However, we do know there could be some problems with this idea. People could accuse you of stealing the power strip when you leave, so be sure to put your name on it. You’ll also want to make sure the person who let you use the outlet in the first place gets his spot back when you leave, because it’s the right thing to do.

Now, if you’re in Haas or feeling capitalistic, you might see this as a business venture: I could rent out each outlet on my power strip. Please don’t. Yes, I know it’s simple supply and demand, but don’t. We all will think you’re a dick if you do this. Just be a good member of the community, and share with your fellow students.

You probably have an extra strip or splitter lying around your room, and if you don’t, they run for less than $10 — or you could check one out for free from Moffitt. It’s something you’ll be grateful to have if you’re stuck in Moffitt with a dying laptop.

Image source: Ton Raftery under Creative Commons

Contace Daniel Radding at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter at @Dradd510