What to do for Earth Day in the East Bay

EDDIE ROSENBAUM//Staff

Get ready to soak in the sun this weekend as Earth Day marks its 43rd birthday. This year’s eco-friendly celebrations are packed with festivities taking place here at Cal and all around the Bay Area.

The Clog is super psyched to share this list of all things all-natural, biodegradable, carbon-neutral, energy-efficient, fair-trade-certified, green-designed, hybrid, locally sourced, organic, pesticide-free, recycled, sustainable, wind-powered, vegetarian and zero-emission. There — that’s the alphabet soup for going green in 2013.

Downtown Berkeley Scavenger Hunt

Liveable Berkeley is sponsoring a photo scavenger hunt this Saturday to get local residents acquainted with the past, present and future of Berkeley’s environmentally sustainable Downtown. Meet at the Downtown Berkeley BART station for instructions, and be sure to bring a camera and walking shoes for the 90-minute event. At the end, prizes will be awarded for Berkeley’s best photos.

Annual Vegan Berkeley Earth Day 

For the kale and kombucha feasters, check out the fair hosted by the San Francisco Vegetarian Society at the David Brower Center. The full-day Saturday event features film screenings, food expert seminars, cooking demonstrations and a variety of detoxifying munchies to chow on. We Cloggers could not resist, so come live all agrarian by chowing like a vegetarian.

Spring Cleaning at Shorebird Park

Feeling altruistic? Shorebird Park, on the Berkeley Marina, is asking for volunteers for April 20 to help clean up the grounds. Stop by the Shorebird Nature Center for more instructions, and be sure to register with [email protected]. Once you have finished a day well spent in park beautification, be sure to enjoy a celebratory picnic with a view of one of the best sunsets the Bay Area has to offer.

Earth Day SF

Need some fresh air before finals kick in? Cruise over the Bay Bridge and spend Earth Day in the “greenest city in North America.” San Francisco’s popular festival invites dozens of prominent speakers and a host of Northern Californian musical bands to motivate and inform through speech and song. Free to everyone, Earth Day SF also includes eco-fashion shows, nearly 100 Earth-conscious vendors, an “Artists Grove” and a “Bike Build.” This year, the festival-only eco-village will host DIY classes ranging from extracting vinegar from fruits to raising a garden without ever watering it. Kids and college students each have their own festival zone, so don’t be afraid to mingle with a ton of young green activists.

Slow Down for the Planet

The San Francisco Zoo is offering an incredible opportunity to reconnect with the natural world this Sunday. In the morning, avian masters will host a bird-watching tour of the spring migration. Throughout the day, zookeepers will lecture on conservation efforts for endangered species such as the lion and the Asian rhino, as well as animal favorites such as the American river otter and the Navajo four-horned sheep. And don’t forget to check out the urban hive demonstration by the San Francisco Beekeeper Association for an enlightening opportunity to learn about the world’s busiest pollinator.

Contact Alex Mabanta at [email protected]