Cal unveils new swanky, spotted men’s basketball uniforms

Two weeks after the Cal football team dazzled the sporting world with four new electric uniform options and matte helmets, it was the men’s basketball team’s turn.

On Tuesday, the athletic department unveiled the program’s new Jordan Brand uniforms — surely to the envy of the other 11 conference teams as well as MJ himself.

The Bears, of course, are coming off a successful season that saw them finish in a second-place tie in the Pac-12 regular season and advance to the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 after a second-round upset of UNLV. As such, Cal, with four appearances in the Big Dance in the last five years, has certainly merited a new wardrobe.

Pac-12 Player of the Year Allen Crabbe announced that he will skip his senior year to enter the NBA Draft, but the freshman class of 2013, headlined by five-star recruit Jabari Bird, should help mitigate the loss of Crabbe.

Another key addition to the Bears next season will be the color gray, which will accent all of Cal athletic’s new jerseys. It is all part of the athletic department’s new visual identity, which includes not just jerseys and the Bear but also updated Cal script and logo.

The uniforms, in a way, personify the Bears’ defense down the stretch of the 2012-13 season. They are certainly tenacious, with big bold golden numbers and a screen of the new Golden Bear image covering the back. That fierce Bear image is also stitched on the shorts, where it will undoubtedly inspire fear in Cal’s opponents.

Above the Bears on the shorts, however, are a series of dots. Perhaps they symbolize the holes often found in Cal’s defense. These dots, with blue and gold on one side of a line, and black and gray, fading away into the Bear, on the other, are quite possibly the most controversial aspect of the new uniforms.

According to CalBears.com, the new men’s basketball uniforms use the “new lightweight material and design” of  Nike’s latest technology, which will “allow for optimal comfort and performance.”

No word yet if the new uniforms will also limit turnovers.

Jonathan Kuperberg used to cover men’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @JonathanKupe.