Crime in Berkeley: April 14 – 20

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley for the week of April 14, provided by Berkeley Police Department.

Robbery — Prince and King streets

On Sunday, April 14, at approximately 4:30 a.m., a robbery occurred in the area of Prince and King streets. The male victim was walking in the area. The suspect ran up to the victim and punched him. The suspect continued to batter the victim, demanding his cellphone. Fearing for his safety, the victim gave the suspect his phone. The suspect fled the area.

The suspect is described as:

“Asian or Samoan Male, 17-18 years old, 5’8”, thin build wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark black pants.”

Vandalism — 2500 block of Hillegass Avenue

On Monday, April 15, at approximately 9:57 p.m., an act of vandalism occurred in the 2500 block of Hillegass Avenue. An unknown suspect threw a bottle through the front window of an apartment, damaging the window.

Loud reports — Sacramento and Oregon streets

On Tuesday, April 16, at approximately 12:30 a.m., a caller reported hearing possibly 30 loud reports in the area of Oregon and Sacramento streets. Officers checked the area and were unable to locate any victims or damaged property.

Auto burglary — 400 block of Gilman Street

On Wednesday, April 17, between 9:30 and 11:00 p.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 400 block of Gilman Street. The victim parked his vehicle in the parking lot next to the sports facility. When he returned, he discovered that an unknown suspect had broken one of the car windows. The suspect stole a backpack with the victim’s wallet, iPad and other items.

Robbery — 2100 block of McKinley Street

On Thursday, April 18, at approximately 2:35 p.m., a strong-arm robbery occurred on the 2100 block of McKinley Street. The female victim was walking in the area and had her cellphone in her hand. The suspect approached the victim from behind and attempted to grab the phone from her hand. The victim and the suspect began to struggle. The suspect then pushed the victim down, ripping the phone from her hand. The suspect fled the area. BPD officers were called to the area to try to locate the suspect. While in the area, the possible suspect was seen in the area of Channing and Martin Luther King Jr. ways. BPD officers attempted to stop the suspect, but he fled on foot. Officers pursued the suspect on foot and later detained him on Milvia Street, north of Channing Way. Through their subsequent investigation, the suspect was arrested for robbery. The victim’s property was recovered.

Residential burglary — 1500 block of Rose Street

On Friday, April 19, between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., a residential burglary occurred on the 1500 block of Rose Street. The resident returned home and discovered his house had been burglarized. The suspect possibly entered through an unlocked window. The suspect stole a game console and other items.

Stolen vehicle — 1800 block of Eastshore Highway

On Saturday, April 20, between 6:30 and 9:00 p.m., an auto theft occurred on the 1800 block of Eastshore Highway. The victim parked his vehicle on Eastshore in front of his business. When he returned, he discovered the vehicle was missing. Taken was a white, 2000 Ford Econoline van.

Please note that these are Calls For Police Services only and are subject to review and reclassification. These CFS numbers only reflect part one crimes reported to BPD. The numbers reflected in the report are only a snapshot of what occurs in the city of Berkeley. The numbers are considered for informational purposes only and should not be used for data analysis or comparison to other agencies. Cases may be reclassified after further review of the incident by supervisors, investigating detectives or the district attorney as appropriate. 

Jaehak Yu is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected]