Four Cal football players drafted in 2013 NFL Draft

Kevin Foote/Senior Staff
Cal receiver Keenan Allen notched two touchdown passes in a 43-17 win over UCLA, Saturday.

Keenan Allen had to wait three rounds to wait to hear his name called in the NFL Draft on Friday, but he found some solace in the fact that he is going to call California his home for the near future.

The former Cal wide receiver was drafted by the San Diego Chargers with the 76th overall pick. Allen, the program’s all-time leader in receptions, was the first of four former Cal players to be drafted in this year’s NFL Draft.

“If anyone was going to pick me, I was definitely hoping for San Diego just because of the atmosphere and the place that it is with great weather,” Allen said in a teleconference with Cal athletics.

On Saturday, offensive lineman Brian Schwenke and cornerbacks Steve Williams and Marc Anthony were drafted in the last four rounds of the draft. Schwenke was drafted as the 107th overall pick in the fourth round to the Tennessee Titans, and Anthony was drafted as the 247th overall pick in the seventh round to the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens.

As the 145th overall pick in the fifth round, Williams will join Allen in San Diego.

“I’m excited to get down there and compete for a job,” Williams said. “It’s nice to know that Keenan’s going, a player that I played with. I’m just excited.”

The 2013 NFL Draft overall was a weak draft for Cal in comparison to its past years. This draft was the second consecutive year that Cal didn’t produce a first round pick. It was the first time since 2006 in which no Cal players were taken in the first two rounds of the draft.

Three undrafted Cal players were signed as free agents after the NFL Draft concluded on Saturday. Offensive lineman Matt Summers-Gavin, running back C.J. Anderson and fullback Eric Stevens were signed by the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos and the St. Louis Rams.

Contact Seung Y. Lee at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @sngyn92.