AJ Kiyoizumi’s Picks of the Week

Kevin Mazur/Courtesy

SFIFF Master Class: Making the Music Doc Rock with Lian Lunson
Not many people can claim that their job is working with figures such as Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave and Willie Nelson. Australian actress-turned filmmaker Lian Lunson will speak about her unexpected and intriguing career in this master class for the San Francisco International Film Festival. Her most well-known work, a documentary on Leonard Cohen produced by Mel Gibson, also features a performance exclusively for the film by Leonard Cohen and U2. Besides the big names, however, one will have the opportunity to see what techniques Lunson used to demystify these icons of music.

Cinco De Mayo Festival at Mission Dolores Park all day Saturday
Dolores Park is always entertaining with its assortment of Bay Area archetypes and its beautiful view even on the calmest of days. For those who don’t see tequila and cheap sombreros as the best way to celebrate Mexican and Chicano heritage, there will be performances and programs ranging from authentic Mexican folk dance to Zumba classes all day on Saturday, May 4.

“Inequality for All” screening at Sundance Kabuki Cinemas on Saturday
Though many who have taken a class from Robert Reich don’t need a film to convince them that the professor voted Best of Berkeley knows what he is talking about, perhaps the rest of the world does. Director, Jacob Kornbluth, describes his collaboration with Reich as the “Inconvenient Truth” of economics — specifically addressing the widening income gap in America. The film is the centerpiece of the San Francisco International Film Festival. What better way to celebrate the shitty economy than by paying $25 to see the film and $10 per drink at the afterparty at Roe in San Francisco?

The Rolling Stones at the Oracle Arena in Oakland on Sunday
After 50 years of playing music together, the Stones are still some of the most energetic performers despite their leathery skin. On top of the amazing fact that they have even survived this long, Mick Jagger’s dancing and the promise of seeing some of the best rock songs of all time should entice you to drop the hefty price to see them in Oakland.

A.J. Kiyoizumi covers visual art. Contact her at [email protected]. Check her out on twitter at @Ajkazoo.