BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Coroner's report reveals Moore's death due to drug overdose

|

Staff

MAY 03, 2013

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office has released a coroner’s report stating that drug overdose was the cause of death of Kayla Moore, the 41-year-old transgender Berkeley resident who died in Berkeley Police Department custody last February.

According to the report, released Friday afternoon, the manner of death was accidental. The report also listed morbid obesity and cardiomegaly, or enlarged heart, as significant conditions in the investigation.

BPD’s own internal investigation was also released Friday afternoon, also finding that Moore’s death was accidental.

On Feb. 13, BPD officers responded to a disturbance call on the 2000 block of Allston Way and were directed to Moore’s apartment. Moore, who originally identified as Xavier Christopher Moore, became unresponsive while officers attempted to restrain her to a gurney. She was then transported to the Alta Bates Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

Moore’s death triggered substantial community response, including demonstrations at a City Council meeting and various protests, due to a perceived lack of transparency with regard to the investigation.

More updates to follow.

Contact Sophie Ho at  or on Twitter

MAY 05, 2013