You are here: Editor’s note

Welcome to UC Berkeley!

You hold in your hands The Daily Californian’s first ever CalSO issue.

This is probably a first for you, too: your first formal experience on campus getting to know what it will be like to attend Cal. One of our goals with this issue is to provide a friendly introduction to that future and make your transition onto the Berkeley campus as smooth as possible.

Toward that end, we’ve packed this issue full of new school essentials: student perspectives on being new to campus, advice for navigating college bureaucracy, a guide to the library system, tips for getting housing and information about our new chancellor.

Our other primary goal is to introduce ourselves to you. With a staff of around 200 and a four-day-per-week print production schedule, the Daily Cal is UC Berkeley’s premier student publication.

The Daily Cal was founded in 1871 and gained its editorial independence 100 years later when it split from the university in 1971. In addition to its print product, the Daily Cal has an award-winning website that is updated daily at www.dailycal.org.

We hope to be your go-to guide as you traverse the next few years at Cal. To do that, we’ll work to provide you with top-notch city and campus news, salient commentary, dynamic perspectives on the local art scene and the most comprehensive Cal sports coverage out there.

To get the Daily Cal’s full effect, follow us on Twitter @dailycal, “like” us on Facebook and never hesitate to let us know how we’re doing by emailing us at [email protected].

Good luck!

Sarah Burns

Editor in chief and president, 2013-14