Do you have Bear Fever?

There’s a strange epidemic striking many Cal Bears right now. They’ve been breathing heavier, sweating more and are seeming rather lethargic. Why? As temperatures rise in their places of origin, Bears who finally acclimated to their Bay Area environment must adapt yet again to warmer weather. While this phenomenon has not been assigned a scientific moniker, we’ve decided to dub it “Bear Fever.”

Bears who are not from the Bay Area suffer the most debilitating effects of the Fever. Those from anywhere in California besides the Bay Area or the Sierras will feel the heat. Whether they’re in the South (Los Angeles, the valley or the desert), the North (Sacramento) or somewhere in the middle of the Central Valley, these Bears are in for the roughest symptoms. They huff and puff as they take walks that were once manageable in Berkeley. Their skin, paled by the cooler temperatures and cloud cover, burns on the first 90-degree summer day back home. And we imagine Bears from other states, like Arizona, will fare no better.

Treatment for Bear Fever is simple: Drink plenty of water and take advantage of air conditioning — and maybe a swimming pool or a lake, if geography permits. However, many Bears cannot afford to laze around away from the summer heat. While they would love to do just that, many have summer jobs or internships that require them to summon as much strength as possible to go outside to get to work, no matter if it’s 80 degrees or 110.

Whether you like being from somewhere warmer than Berkeley or you miss the moderate climate, we hope you protect yourself from Bear Fever. Personally, the Clog staff is missing the days when 80 degrees was the absolute warmest it would get. Sure, you couldn’t strut around in a bikini without a little chill (though we have witnessed bikini-clad Bears anyway), but you could walk anywhere without absolutely suffocating.

Even if you love the heat, look out for symptoms of (here are some real medical terms) heat exhaustion and heat stroke in you and your friends. Have your fun in the sun, but always be within reach of water and shade. It can be a real bummer if someone ends up in the hospital because of the heat.

Image source: Omar A. under Creative Commons

Contact Jessica Rogness at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.