Cal men’s golf sends three players to U.S. Open

John Todd/GoldenBearSports.com/Courtesy

The Cal men’s golf team will send an unprecedented three players to the U.S. Open this weekend.

Michael Kim, Max Homa and Michael Weaver will represent the Bears in the prestigious tournament at the Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania, where they will play alongside the best golfers in the world. Kim and Homa earned their spots in the sectional qualifying rounds, while Weaver was previouly guaranteed a spot as the 2012 U.S. Amateur runner-up. This is the first time in U.S. Open history that a single college has sent three players to the tournament.

The Merion Golf Club features the shortest course for the U.S. Open in more than a decade. But that does not make it easy.

“During the practice round, all I could think was how hard this course is,” Kim said. “But everybody is playing the same golf course. And I don’t think (the scores) will be as low as everyone is thinking.”

The short course could actually help Kim, who says that hitting fairways and greens is his strong point. Meanwhile Weaver, who played in the Masters earlier this year, echoed Kim’s concerns about the difficulty of the course.

“I know it will be difficult,” Weaver said. “So I just want to go out there and enjoy the experience.”

All three will play in the first two rounds on Thursday and Friday. After that, it remains to be seen whether their scores will make the cut to play on the final two days.

Regardless of what happens, all three Bears are excited to be in the field at one of golf’s most exclusive tournaments.

“Tomorrow will be a blast and a dream come true,” Homa said. “I can’t wait to get out there.”

The tournament will be broadcast on ESPN each day from 6 a.m. to noon and on NBC from noon to 2 p.m.

Contact Riley McAtee at [email protected]