BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

'Mad Men' review: Don really, really screwed up this time

FRANK OCKENFELS | COURTESY

JUNE 16, 2013

Well, it’s finally happened — Sally Draper, Don’s whip-smart and sassy tween daughter, has at last discovered what a philandering scumbag her father really is. While covertly removing an incriminating love letter from her neighbor’s apartment, Sally accidentally walked in on Mrs. Rosen engaging in a bit of thank-god-my-son’s-not-getting-drafted coitus with the man who called in a favor, despite having called off their affair weeks before. (Because nothing says thank you quite like putting out.) While Sally has said nothing to Mrs. Draper (so far), this turn of events is particularly devastating as she came to the realization that the dirty city has taken root in her own family. Even Don knew that his half-hearted cover up (“I was just comforting Mrs. Rosen”) will do nothing to restore the respect his daughter has lost for him, having slept with not only his neighbor but also the wife of arguably the only friend he has outside of the office.

How will this turn of events play out for Don Draper? Will lovely Megan follow Don’s first wife’s footsteps and ask for a divorce? Will she ever even find out? Will Sally run away? All we know for sure is that this is the biggest blow to Don’s ego yet; after facing off daily with Ted Chaough and feeling increasingly obsolete at SC&P, Don has lost the trust of the one person who loved him unconditionally. It can’t be much longer until he hits rock bottom.

In other events, Pete Campbell’s slightly demented mother discovered the dormant passion in her loins with her nurse Manolo, despite the fact that “his interests don’t turn that way.” Apparently, this “degenerate behavior” is shared by Bob Benson as evidenced by his casual touch of the knee while in Campbell’s office. In response to his outrage over Manolo’s romantic intentions, Benson poured Campbell a stiff drink and said, “When there’s true love, it doesn’t matter who it is.” Pete’s response was his idiosyncratic sour grimace. Peggy also offered “to make it interesting” if Stan came over to kill a rat in her apartment, to which he responds with his sexy voice and hangs up, eventually forcing her to get a cat (Looks like your mother was right about your Jewish ex-boyfriend, Peggy). Sally brought over a best frenemy who thinks the main export of Manila is manila envelopes, and Peggy, Ted and Pete drank far too much juice. Stay tuned next week, where Sally gets a tattoo and cuts all her hair off.

Contact Mohana Kute at 

JUNE 16, 2013