Shots fired Sunday morning at intersection next to CREAM

Elliot Sharifi/Courtesy

UPDATED, June 18, 6:42 p.m.: According to a UCPD crime alert released Tuesday, the driver of the first vehicle was identified as a nonaffiliated female and her friend, who were shot at by two male suspects driving a second vehicle as they passed through the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Channing Way. The victims’ car was struck several times, but they managed to drive away from the scene physically unharmed. BPD and UCPD searched the area but were unable to locate the suspects.

According to the crime alert, the suspects are described as:

Suspect #1 — A black male, 18 to 20 years of age, 5-foot-8 in height, with a stocky build, possibly wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt or a black T-shirt and jeans.

Suspect #2 — A black male adult with a dark complexion.

Multiple gunshots were fired Sunday morning at the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Channing Way, according to several witness reports and Berkeley Police Department.

BPD responded to reports of shots fired at the scene at approximately 12:30 a.m. After investigating the scene, BPD reported no property damage or knowledge of injuries resulting from the shooting, according to BPD lieutenant Andrew Rateaver.

The shots were allegedly fired between two vehicles and possibly a pedestrian, according to witnesses. BPD arrived just as the vehicles fled the scene, said BPD lieutenant Andrew Rateaver.

Tina Hernandez, a CREAM employee who was working at the time, said she saw two cars drive by, shooting at one another.

There are no known suspects at this time.

About 45 minutes earlier, BPD received a disturbance call from a large party in the 2400 block of Waring St., blocks away from the location where the shots were fired. Although BPD cannot confirm that the two incidents were related, the possibility has not been ruled out.

“The time frame is certainly there and the proximity is certainly there,” Rateaver said. “We don’t have a direct indication of (a relation between the incidents) but it is possible.”

Witnesses have speculated that the incident was gang related, but BPD stated that there has been no indication of whether it is or is not.

Investigation of the incident is ongoing.

Contact Jennie Yoon at [email protected]